Jillian Harris on Love It or List It, The Bachelor, and Design Rules Every ...

No disrespect to the Maynards and Rosenbaums of this world, but Jillian Harris remains my favorite Bachelorette of all time. So I was thrilled to see her jump onto my personal HGTV addiction, Love It or List It and doubly thrilled to learn she was launching a stunningly lovely vintage shopping site, Charlie Ford Vintage. I called Jillian at her new place to chat all about her exciting endeavors and, um, the mansion's tacky problem.


I adore Love It or List It. How did you get involved?

After Bachelorette, I worked for Extreme Home Makeover. When that got cancelled, I didn't want to move to L.A. I didn't want to do TV unless it was design-related and in my neighborhood, and there's not much TV on the west coast of Canada. But HGTV called about a year and a half ago, and we've been filming ever since. We've been filming without a hiatus for 18 months.


You also just got a new place-your first one with your boyfriend, snowboarder Justin Pasutto. Congrats!

It's so funny because we're renovating too, and I feel like I'm living in my own Love It or List It. He'll say "Babe, this is what we found today," and I'll say, "Well, something has to come off the list, we can't afford both!" It's the same line I say all day, and I get home and say it again.


I'm obsessed with Charlie Ford Vintage, the vintage-shopping website you recently launched with your partners, Tori Wesszer and Alyssa Dennis. How did you get the vintage bug?

I've always had an appetite for things that stand the test of time. It gives me a sense of history and soul, thinking about all the people who have read this book or used this milk pitcher. One day my cousin Tori and I were antiquing and she said, "People are always asking where you get your stuff. You should sell it on your website." We have brick and mortar vendors who ship from their locations; they have the inventory, we're the hub. I've never worked so hard in my life, and I absolutely love it.


OK, but I have to ask: Do you still have time to watch The Bachelor and The Bachelorette?

I go on and off. The first few seasons after I was on it, I was glued. But now, like any viewer, if it's not interesting, I get bored. I am crazy about the alumni, though. Mollie Mesnick and Melissa Rycroft have become really good friends of mine. You want everybody to be happy and successful and have babies.


I feel like Juan Pablo is going to be a good season, purely because he's so gorgeous.

He's really, really good looking. I mean, a lot of them are, but he's hot.


Can we talk about the Bachelor mansion, though? I feel like they need you to go in and update it a bit.

Oh, absolutely! I'd be chomping at the bit. I don't understand why it has to be so colorful and gaudy. It should be fresh and white and crisp and simple. It's so intense! You can have a romantic space without velvet sheets and damask wallpaper.


I feel like it would be appropriate for you to make the mansion more stylish because I definitely believe you are responsible for the bachelorettes having better onscreen style. Your clothes were the cutest.

Aw, thank you! I've been feeling uninspired in the clothing department lately. The other day I showed up on set in these ratty leggings and a waffle sweater with paint on the elbows. I looked down and was like am I actually wearing this right now? It's hard when you're trying to be creative in so many different areas.


I totally sympathize. I'm trying to decorate my first home, and I've completely abandoned fashion in the meantime. To that end, let's talk design rules every girl, whether she's living in a teeny studio or a giant mansion, should keep in mind.

It sounds cliche, but my number one thing is: Get rid of clutter. We keep things because they're gifts or we spent money on them, but the best thing to do when you see a space you're not connecting with is take everything out. Then, put things back in one at a time. Layer until something you don't like comes back in, and that's what you get rid of.


I feel like people are intimidated by the concept of layering, and trying to achieve that awesomely-lived-in look.

Vintage pieces really anchor your home. Accessories and art, especially. But I'm standing in my living room right now: I have a couch and mirror from IKEA and an old trunk as a side table. I have old books piled on a side table from HomeGoods.


OK, I love hearing that you shop at those places too, as an expert.

People shouldn't feel like they have to follow a specific style. Your space doesn't have to be just French country or modern or feminine or masculine. We're all complicated on the inside, but on the outside we [assemble an outfit] and pull ourselves together. Think of your space the same way; it can be a mix. It just has to be pulled together.


What about color versus neutrals?

You should inject as much as you're comfortable with, but keep in mind that if you love a certain color, it doesn't have to be the whole room. I had a client who wanted a red bedroom, but she was very zen-I knew if I gave her a red bedroom, it would drive her crazy. So I did oatmeal, gray and cream with red artwork and throw pillows.


Love. Now please tell me one thing about your home that's not perfect, so I don't feel like such a slacker!

My clothes are a constant source of anxiety. I've had mornings where I'm literally throwing things, like in the movies. No matter how hard I try to stay organized, there's always a pile of clothes on the floor and in my car. My car is so embarrassing. I look like a hoarder.


Check your local listings to catch Jillian on Love It or List It and check out Charlie Ford Vintage here-but not until you are prepared to part with some major cash.

0 comments:

Post a Comment